As a service to the medical imaging community, we have sought to compile a
list of publicly available/accessible medical image databases for the
development and analysis of medical image software and computer aided
detection/diagnosis tools, as well as challenges performed on various
modalities. If any databases/challenges are thought to be absent from this
list, or the organizers of an unlisted database wish it to be included in
please contact to be added.
Public Medical Image Databases
Unrestricted Access unless otherwise noted
- JSRT Digital Image Database. Digital Chest X-ray database with images containing lung nodules
as well as negative cases, with ground truth location and diagnosis provided.
JSRT Database Page
- SCR database: Segmentation in Chest Radiographs. Digital Chest X-ray database established to
facilitate comparative studies on segmentation of the lung fields, the heart and the clavicles in
standard posterior-anterior chest radiographs.
Image Sciences Institute: SCR database
Computed Tomography (CT)
Magnetic Resonance Images
- BrainWeb: Simulated Brain Database. Contains simulated, 3D MR data using normal and multiple
sclerosis models with different acquisition parameters.
- DDSM: Digital Database for Screening Mammography. Contains a large number of cases with both
normal and abnormal findings (and associated ground truth).
USF DDSM Homepage
- Mini-MIAS (Mammographic Image Analysis Society). Contains cases with and location information
of the abnormality. Mini-MIAS
- DIARETDB1 - Standard Diabetic Retinopathy Database. Database for benchmarking diabetic
retinopathy detection from digital images. Offers a standardized testing protocol.
- DRIVE: Digital Retinal Images for Vessel Extraction. Database established
to facilitate comparative studies on segmentation of blood vessels in retinal images.
- NCIA Collection: Virtual Colonoscopy - Database for colonic polyp detection from CT with MS
Access relational database file to aid in case selection found at
NCIA Collections Page.
*This collection is made available from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Virtual Colonoscopy Collection in collaboration with National Cancer Institute,
NIH: please note the citation requirements on the NCIA collections page.
- TCIA Collection: ACRIN CT Colonography Collection for colonic polyp detection from CT with XLS
sheets that provide polyp descriptions and their location within the colon segments
TCIA Collections Page).
- Standardized Evaluation Methodology for 2D-3D Registration Database. Contains multi-modality datasets,
centers of rotation, evaluation criteria, and starting positions for the evaluation of registration methods.
Image Sciences Institute: Registration database
- TCIA Collection: PET/CT phantom scan collection. A resource for increased quantitative understanding
of machine acquisition, analytic reproducibility and image processing.
TCIA Collections Page (in transfer from NBIA)
Medical Image Analysis Challenges
Challenges, sometimes termed grand challenges provide data sets for the
purpose of comparison of different analysis methods. While these challenges do
provide a resource for image data they may often incur more restictive
conditions on how the data may be used.
Limited Data Access unless otherwise noted, see individual challenge for details
Computed Tomography (CT)
- EXACT09. Challenge for the automated extraction of airways from CT data. EXACT09 Homepage
- ANODE09 Study. Challenge for the CAD detection of lung lesions from
whole-lung CT data. ANODE09
- BIOCHANGE 2008 PILOT. Challenge for
the evaluation of change measurement algorithm.
BIOCHANGE 2008 Pilot Homepage
*Note: Uses publicly accessible NCIA-RIDER and FDA phantom data.
- VOLCANO'09 Nodule Change Challenge
the evaluation of size change in pulmonary nodules.
- Coronary Artery Algorithm Evaluation Framework. Challenge based
on the extraction of coronary artery centerlines from CTA data. Home Page
- Liver Tumor Segmentation 08. Challenge based on the
segmentation of liver lesions from contrast enhanced CT. Challenge Homepage
Magnetic Resonance Images
- MS lesion segmentation challenge 08. Challenge for
the segmentation of brain lesions from MR imagery. MSseg08 Homepage
- CAUSE07 - Caudate Segmentation Evaluation 2007. Challenge for
the segmentation of the caudate nucleus from brain MRI scans. CAUSE07 Homepage
- ROC-Retinopathy Online Challenge. Challenge based on detecting
microaneurysms and dot hemorrhages for diabetic retinopathy screening. The ROC Website
Grand Challenges List
VIA Group Public Databases
Documented image databases are essential for the development of
quantitative image analysis tools especially for tasks of
computer-aided diagnosis (CAD). In collaboration with the I-ELCAP
group we have established two public image databases that contain
lung CT images in the DICOM format together with documentation
of abnormalities by radiologists. Please access the links below
for more details:
In addition to the databases shown above the VIA and ELCAP groups have made
contributions to The National Cancer Institute (NCI) efforts to provide public
image databases. In particular we have contributed to the following projects: